Position Title: Director of Development
Full Time/Year-Round Position
Former NFL Quarterback, Doug Flutie, and his wife Laurie started the Doug Flutie, Jr. Foundation for Autism in 1998 after their son, Dougie, was diagnosed with autism at the age of three. Their personal experience of raising a son on the autism spectrum inspired them to help others on an equally long and challenging journey. Over its 20-year history, the Flutie Foundation has distributed over $14 million to schools and organizations who provide clinical therapies, respite services, recreational programs, social skills training, job supports and more for people affected by autism. The Flutie Foundation also provides education technology tools, adaptive camp scholarships, safety equipment, and direct family support through its special programs. The Flutie Foundation’s newest initiative, Flutie Spectrum Enterprises, creates employment opportunities through creation of and investment in businesses to employ adults with autism.
The Director of Development provides strategic leadership, execution, and operational management of the organization’s development program. This person will be responsible for working with the Executive Director to create and implement a comprehensive development program designed to grow revenues and relationships. Focus areas include individual/major donors, corporate and foundation partnerships, and innovative peer-to-peer and event-based strategies. This person will report to the Executive Director and provide valued input across all initiatives of this growing and dynamic organization.
The Director of Development assumes the following responsibilities:
- Spearhead efforts to identify and obtain individual, corporate, and foundation contributions.
- Build and execute strategy for unique revenue-growth opportunities including peer-to-peer fundraising and third-party events.
- Build and maintain a portfolio of key relationships with external stake-holders including donors, board members, event fundraising participants, and corporate and foundation partners.
- Coordinate annual fund campaign and any other direct mail campaigns.
- Work with Director of Marketing and Events to prepare and produce all fundraising-related digital content including email solicitations and monthly giving campaign
- Produce and provide regular detailed accountability reports about the organization’s finances and fundraising operations.
- Supervise the gift entry and acknowledgement process as performed by the Office Administrator, in support of effective fundraising efforts.
- Work with Director of Marketing and Events to increase revenues at organization’s key fundraising events including annual gala, golf tournament, and Flutie 5K.
- Be ready, willing, and able to take on other duties as assigned.
Skills, Characteristics, Competencies Needed
- Passion for improving lives for people with autism, their families, and their communities
- Excellence in relationship-building
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including grant-writing experience and a knack for storytelling.
- Eagerness to learn, grow, and stay on top of trends in philanthropy, business, and autism services.
- Ability to effectively manage a wide array of tasks, projects, and responsibilities.
- Understanding of communication strategy, marketing, and branding principles including digital and event marketing.
- Demonstrated capability to conduct one’s self in a calm and professional demeanor when dealing with people and/or with difficult situations.
- Ability to work well with a diverse group of staff, volunteers, and other constituents.
- Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce, or other constituent management software
- Demonstrated proficiency in the following competencies
- Action oriented, Drive for Results, Dealing with Change & Uncertainty, Building Effective Teams, Customer Focused, Managing vision and purpose.
- Minimum 4 years w/ revenue-generating experience in fundraising/development OR significant successful sales/marketing background in private sector with board-level nonprofit experience
- Bachelor’s Degree
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com.