Location: Framingham, MA
Required Experience: 5 Years +
Employment: FT/40 hours per week
Required Travel: 10%
Reports to: Board of Directors
Relocation Covered: No
To provide leadership for the Doug Flutie Jr. Foundation and Flutie Spectrum Enterprises (a social enterprise) with consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives. Responsible for overall strategic and operational planning, revenue generation, grants and program management, financial management, organizational development, staff management, marketing and public relations.
Strategic and Operational Planning
- Set and implement – in partnership with the Board of Directors and staff – the vision for the organization to ensure achievement of its mission and vision.
- Take a leadership role in driving a collaborative process with the Board of Directors and staff in developing goals, objectives and operational plans for the Foundation.
- Responsible for support of all activities associated with the Board of Directors, including staffing for all Board and Committee meetings, meeting schedules, locations, development of agenda and meeting materials. Leverage the contributions of time, financial and other resources to ensure all board members support the organization at the extent of their capacity.
- Serve as the primarily liaison for the foundation’s founders, Doug and Laurie Flutie, to effectively manage their time and involvement related to advancement of the foundation’s goals.
- Spearhead the development, communication and implementation of effective growth strategies including workforce expansion, professional development and the development and execution of new programs and fundraising initiatives that align with the Foundation’s mission.
- Create organizational and administrative policies.
- Prepare the annual budget and other necessary financial documents. Provide information and justifications for the Board in its budgetary review and approval process.
- Supervise the efficient and effective day-to-day operations of the Foundation.
- Oversee the operations of Flutie Spectrum Enterprises, a social enterprise employing adults with autism. This includes the development, communication and implementation of effective growth strategies as well as working with the Managing Director on organizational management and revenue generation.
- Lead the implementation of a comprehensive development plan to significantly expand philanthropic resources for the foundation.
- Supervise all fund development activities including cultivation and stewardship of individual, foundation and corporate donors, grant writing and identifying new resources. Work with the Development Director to identify and maintain a diverse donor base of individual, corporate and foundation segments.
- Inspire new levels of donor generosity through direct solicitation and engagement of past donors and first-time contributors.
- Oversee all fundraising events, serve on committees and assist the Director of Marketing and Events with various aspects of each event.
- Participate in third party events that benefit the Foundation.
Grants and Program Management
- Oversee the administration of the annual grant cycle and work with the Director of Community Partnerships and Family Supports to develop relevant grant guidelines, applications, formal agreements and progress reports for the general grant program.
- Participate in grant reviews and committee meetings to determine final grant recommendations.
- Prepare summary of grant recommendations for Board approval.
- Oversee the grant agreement and check distribution process.
- Oversee all programs administered by the Foundation including AccesSport America, Alison Keller Education Technology Program, Joey’s Fund, Safe & Secure and our annual Partner Summit.
Fiscal and Administrative Management
- Lead, motivate and develop staff and board so that they are passionate about what the Flutie Foundation has achieved and are committed to working effectively toward continual improvement.
- Ensure the organization has appropriate staff with the right skills appropriate for the needs of the position through people management activities including hiring, ongoing staff development, performance management, compensation and benefits.
- Develop and adhere to annual budgets ensuring fiscal soundness and appropriate levels of cash flow.
- Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board.
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Assist in the preparation of audit materials and review draft financials and IRS Form 990 for Board approval.
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, individual and corporate donors and other organizations to help achieve the goals of the Foundation.
- Represent the Foundation at fundraising/community events to enhance the organization’s community profile.
- Serve on Executive Committee for Advocates for Autism of Massachusetts (AFAM) as well as other advocacy committees focused on legislative and administrative issues.
- Represent the Flutie Foundation in all media relations by participating in interviews and other media type engagements; coordinate media requests for Doug Flutie.
- A minimum of five years of management experience in a non-profit setting or comparable fields.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of individuals and to collaborate with diverse groups in order to achieve desired outcomes.
- Demonstrated success of effectively leading change and organizational growth through strategic planning.
- Proven track record in fund development and successfully engaging stakeholders.
- Past experience in the human services sector, working with organizations supporting the needs of children and families. An appreciation for the challenges related to supporting families and children with autism.
- Demonstrated experience in fiscal management.
- Demonstrated high ethical standards and sound judgment.
- Strong and effective oral and written communication skills.
- Flexibility to work a variable schedule.
- Director of Marketing & Events
- Director of Development
- Director of Community Partnerships & Family Supports
- Marketing & Development Coordinator/Social Media Strategist
- Office Administrator
- Managing Director of Flutie Spectrum Enterprises (FSE)
- Business Development Manager of FSE
- Six Adult Employees of FSE
The compensation and benefits package is competitive with comparable community-based nonprofits in the region.
Interested individuals should email their cover letter and resume to Chuck Gordon, President and CEO, The New Kensington Group at email@example.com.
The Doug Flutie Jr. Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a culturally diverse workplace.This job description highlights the general nature of the work likely to be performed by the Flutie Foundation’s Executive Director. The actual duties, responsibilities and qualifications of the Executive Director ma